Children between 6 and 15 years old with overweight or obesity.
Goal: How to balance the scale ?
Make the child with overweight fit again in a healthy way. Become fit by changing the child’s life situation : from passive to active, from unhealthy to healthy eating habits, from negative to positive self image.
It is not always easy to assume a new llifestyle. Motivation, patience and a child-friendly approach are essential for success. Try to engage in this challenge together with the whole family.
A multidisciplinary team will coordinate the health program according to the personal needs of the child and his/her family.
Together we all communicate through a transparent, safe and functional software program.
The health program is a dynamic process with focus on the child during treatment, and an individual approach with a personalized workbook. The program includes different therapies, individual as well as group sessions, over a period of 12 months. The total project concerns a flow of 64 contact moments with different therapists.
1. The Personal Coach (Physical Eduction)
38 counseling by the personal physical education therapist
- There is a defined structure and your child comes into therapy every week at an appointed hour.
- Every week different topics are covered.
- Every child has its own personalized workbook wherein it collects all of its personal progress and results. The children are given assignments to do at home. These assignments will be evaluated and adjusted every week, based on the workbook.
- Guardians, family, caretakers and friends can motivate the child and support its efforts by checking the workbook on a regular basis and active support.
- We aim at (re)integration into a sports club.
2. The pediatrician
At least three consultations at the pediatrician
- A medical examination. Based on elaborate medical history, clinical research and in some cases a blood test, both cause and effect of overweight will be examined.
- An informative talk.
- Medical monitoring and treatment of structural health problems as a result of overweight.
3. The osteopath
Three consultations at the osteopath
- The first consultation is an introductory interview where complaints and symptoms related to overweight will be discussed in detail, together with the lifestyle of your child and his/her family. This allows your child to be individually treated in the best way.
- Careful and extensive body examination will take place from which an individual therapy treatment arises.
- The osteopath optimizes the neurological, mechanical and physiological (metabolic) conditions of the patient. Its treatment will result in a better/more efficient reaction of the body to a nutritional adjustment and more exercise.
- The osteopath defines and treats disrupted mobility in different body systems, using various osteopathic techniques such as connective tissue techniques, circulation stimulating techniques, joint techniques and techniques that affect the nervous system.
4. The dietician
Five sessions at the dietician or consultant
- These are group sessions, in some cases involving individual discussion, and may or may not include the parents.
- The sessions include discussions around the issues of hot meals, breakfast, drinks, label importance
- Information about what constitutes healthy food is taught by means of interactive games
- In addition, problem solving skills are taught to enable the child to change unhelpful living and eating habits .
5. The Psychologe
Seven sessions at the psychologe
- These consultations consist of group sessions, in some cases involving individual discussion, and may or may not include the parents.
- The sessions include discussions centering on various age-related issues such as self-confidence, bullying, emotions, and self esteem, …
- This is done using techniques which offer children the chance to talk about the problems they have encountered.
- In addition, problem solving skills are taught to enable the child to change unhelpful living and eating habits.
6. The Physiotherapist
Eight sessions at the physiotherapist
- Extra individual support for the breathing system, the musculoskeletal system and the cardiovascular body system
- Stimulation and evaluation of motor development
- Breathing exercises, yoga and control of body tensions
- Exercises to help in stimulating recovery and build a good cardiovascular condition
- Exercises to help strengthen muscles
7. Regular team moments
- The team will discuss which other children your child should work with in order to get the best result. The date on which your child’s program will start depends upon the availability of the therapists who provide a weekly training, and there being a minimum number of participants able to work together in a group.
- In order to get the best results, multidisciplinary treatment is essential, and your child’s emotional well being, their food intake, and movement skills must sometimes be professionally monitored individually. Extra individual therapy may be advised, if necessary. The effectiveness of the treatment can be greatly enhanced if you, as a parent or educator, are willing to help outside the therapy sessions and ensure the given recommendations are applied.
- Parents will receive extra moments of counseling.
Team per region and licensed obesity centre
The coordinator of the program is Els Vercruysse MSc Osteopathy
- Drs. Els Vercruysse +32 (0)495 45.90.22
The total cost of the complete health program is about 1680 Euro. Part of this amount can be reimbursed by Health Insurance. This amount depends on your Health Insurance and your capacity. It pays for itself and your child develops a healthier lifestyle and drastically reduces health risks.
The program is completed as a whole and lasts about one school year. It is not possible to follow only part of the program. It can however be adjusted to any specific needs of the child or family.
What can you expect as a parent and as a child ?
The objectives of the program are for children
- To control your weight by stabilising it (whilst you are still growing). This can be achieved by combining healthy food and sufficient fluids with daily exercise.
- To increase physical health. You will feel better and will reintegrate into society and your environment with a healthier lifestyle.
- To give you the feeling you can also do sports and exercise despite your overweight, and that being part of a group and doing sports can be great fun.
- To teach you how you can manage your own daily exercises.
- To teach you how to be more emotionally robust and how to deal with difficult situations.
The objectives of the program are for parents
- To teach you about healthy food, exercise and give you the skills needed to support this program. The success of the children’s program is in part dependent on your involvement and help. It is essential that whoever helps the child at home, speaks the same language.